Today after a long time, as I get back to my blog, I would like to wish everyone a very happy New year. I want to write about something that the Pongal festival celebrated in Tamil Nadu will not be what it is, without it.
Wondering what it is all about?
As the harvest festival of Tamil Nadu just got over. One can find new mud pots, freshly harvested turmeric, rice kernels, sugarcane. Cows and bulls with beautifully painted horns, Cow carriages filled with children traveling to villages around. A four day festival of thanksgiving.
Day-one symbolizes leaving old obstacles behind and progressing towards new beginnings with happiness and enthusiasm. Day-two we thank the Sun God for being the prime source of energy to all the living beings in the world. Day-three we thank the bulls and cows that are an integral part of the Farmer’s families and help them at work. Day-four the day of blessings and money as we call it this day is partly dedicated to blessings, and partly to watching new movies released. This time it is Super Star’s Darbar, so it is happiness doubled, a perfect feast for Rajini fans like me. Jallikattu-the bull embracing sport that marks the valor of the rural youth of Tamil Nadu adds an indispensable glory to this festival.
There is no better time to talk about this delightful drink. I would also like to share the happiest moment that repeats itself every year. After the Pongal Pooja and prayer at home, I and my brother cut sugarcane into small portions, sit together and enjoy it. We keep enjoying it until my mom says, enough. Hahaha! This time we have planned for a virtual Sugarcane eating competition through WhatsApp video call as we are miles apart.
How many of you like Sugarcane Juice?
Well, I am a big fan of it, there was a sugar cane juice shop in my college where I would stop to have my mango-flavored sugarcane juice every weekend, or whenever I happen to visit java green, at SRM. They were the most refreshing evenings of my life.
Let me start with the health aspect of Sugarcane juice
- Sugarcane serves as a source of instant energy and packed with natural sugars, refreshes body and mind.
- Folic acid helps in easier conception during gestation and prevents any neural birth defects in the fetus.
- Sugarcane juice is packed with calcium, Phosphorous and a whole lot of minerals which ensures healthy nails, teeth, bones and prevents tooth decay and bad breath. It cures febrile disorders in children and replenishes lost protein.
- It Is the best-known juice to treat liver-related disorders and improves the functioning of the liver.
- Potassium present in the cane juice help balances the ph of the stomach and aids in the secretion of digestive juice and acts as a digestive tonic.
- Flavenoids in sugarcane prevent diseases due to free radicals.
- Sugarcane juice has a low glycemic index and so it can be consumed in a considerably moderate amount to ensure good health.
- Vitamin C in sugarcane juice helps cure soar throat.
- Sugarcane juice helps in wound healing and strengthens body organs. It helps eliminate toxins from the body.
- It helps weight loss by reducing bad cholesterol levels in the body and boosts immunity, improves muscle power and treats acidity as well.
- See that you drink freshly prepared cane juice within half an hour post preparation. As it easily spoiled by microorganisms and does not consume more than two glasses of sugarcane juice in a day.
Processing of sugar cane juice
High-pressure processing is a cold pasteurization technique by which products already sealed in its final package are introduced into a vessel and subjected to a high level of isostatic pressure transmitted by water.
Pressures above 400 MPa (+ 4ºC to 10ºC) or ambient temperature inactivate the vegetative flora (bacteria, virus, yeasts, molds, and parasites) present in food, extending the products shelf life importantly and guarantee food safety.
High-Pressure Processing retains the sensory and nutritional properties of food, because of the absence of heat treatment, and maintains its original freshness throughout the shelf-life.
Hpp is discussed because some countries use high pressure processing for cane juice .
Don’t miss out on sugarcane enjoy it stay happy and healthy go for this natural drink this pongal
Categories: Food technology